Wednesday 30 March 2011

Volcanoes and contortionists

Class 6B have been learning about volcanoes apparently.  And today they built their own.  The class had to divide into four groups, and they had to choose a leader.  The teacher, Sebastian Gitbang, had 4 recycled (of course) small water bottles.  One was intact, and the other 3 varied and each leader had to choose one.  Then they had mounds of clay, and they each had to build their own volcanoes.

Tomorrow, they are going to explode them - NOT in class, but out in one of the fields.  I hope it doesn't rain before lunch - usually it only rains in the afternoons - because I'm looking forward to seeing it all and I hope they get to explode them individually.

This sure is a good way to learn - I don't remember getting the chance to do this sort of thing at school.  The rest of the day was very ho hum with just a couple of small jobs and the rest of the time downloading stuff and resizing it.

Tonight there were a few of us who went to see Circus Mama Afrika.  The larger touring group have recently been in Sydney and this group tonight were Kenyan and Tanzanian.  The same format of show so the music and drums were fantastic.  It did get a bit confusing watching the contortionists - there were 3 of them.  Watching a guy put himself through a gutless tennis racquet was quite something - he did it backwards and forwards.  And no, I didn't take my camera!

So I'll finish with the volcanoes


it's not every lesson you can have so much fun



I've been in this boy's class several times now, and he always says hi when I see him out and about.  He was having a great time and was quite pleased that he got more than his hands dirty (he was also one of the volunteers to clean the desks afterwards)




this girl had finished up by making a model person, and so it will be interesting to see if the person makes it to the explosions tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. I love the photo of you on the traveller's blog 'about me' - you look like a 40 something paid model.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Steph,
    Have just sat and read all your travel blogs so far and it has made for such an enjoyable afternoon break. I am so jealous of all your experiences and the chance to do some much photography. Continue having a great time and please more photos.
    Jo

    ReplyDelete