Tuesday 15 March 2011

Day 1 ... and 3rd schedule update already

My phone has spat the dummy and died, so waking up to an alarm this morning didn't happen.  As it turned out, I woke too early and then thought I'd just doze.  Ooops, woke at 8:25 and since this is my first morning and I was due in the office at 8:30, it was a haphazard start to the morning.

First on the agenda was a trip into town - for supplies and now a new phone.  We caught one of the school buses part of the way (it was going to Usa Campus) and then a dalla dalla for the rest of the way.  These are the local mini buses, so an interesting ride is always guaranteed.

I bought the cheapest phone I could find - a Nokia 1280 which cost 39,900/= and then 10,000/= for credit.  It sounds expensive, but now I'm going to be using my 15 times table a lot  :-)
We nipped into the bakery to see if they had any bread, and it turned out to be an internet cafe cum bakery.  There were a few people, including whites, there with their laptops.  Then a masai guy came in, wearing his African reboks (for those who don't know, these are sandals made out of old car & truck tyres).  I noticed that he wasn't wearing any ear decorations, although he did have his ear lobe hole large enough to fit an old Kodak film canister in.  The bit that made me smile though was when he pulled his laptop out from under his blanket and sat down to open it up.  How times have changed.

A quick trip to two supermarkets - and I came out with two packets of local sao type biscuits, and 2 cartons of fruit juice.  I nearly laughed when I saw packets of McVities PLAIN chocolate digestives!  I bought some fruit at a roadside stall and that was my stock up on 'goodies'.  There is plenty of coke and fanta, but no diet drinks so I'm going to be splurging at the waterhole and other drinking spots on soda water!

Back to school - and it was already lunch time.  Emma gave me my schedule, and this has already changed again, but it looks like I'll be kept very busy.  Office staff work a 5.5 day week, and on Saturday morning I was scheduled for editing time for the photos.  Them Emma asked if I wanted to go with Form 3 to a Leprocy Centre, since they were going to help out.  So naturally I said yes.  It will be an interesting morning methinks.  There goes the editing time, but there is always nights.

This afternoon my schedule said I would be meeting with the marketing department, but they were out somewhere.  Then I was supposed to join a Visitors group who were being shown around the school (well, the 2 parts of this Moshono Campus) but I ended up photographing the activities out in one of the large playgrounds.  Combined prep classes had afternoon activities - a mixture of ball games, "tennis" but just with tennis balls, skipping and ten pin bowls.  This was played with 10 large water bottles, filled with water (the pins) and a soccer ball (the bowling ball) and I went from group to group, photographing and helping out.

The school tour for me didn't happen, and then at 3:30 I went with one of the school buses on their afternoon run to drop the kids off.  This seemed to go quickly, but the return trip took 1.5 hours.  Interesting to see the rural areas and the kids would have an awfully long walk if they didn't have the luxury of school buses.  As it is, the bus collects the ones who live furthest away at 7am in the mornings (on this particular run), and they get home at 5pm so its a long day for such young kids.  They had their homework papers out and today's homework was
1.  List the 4 steps to opening Microsoft Word program
2.  Explain the functions of the following keys - shift, delete etc etc
3.  How do you shut down a computer
and the other question was something to do about fonts.  And these kids are in 3rd class in primary school - in Tanzania!!!

I'll just put a couple of photos from this afternoon, to keep up the habit and to make up for not taking a single photo yesterday .....






1 comment:

  1. Lordy! I love it! Log on every morning to see what you have been up to!

    Just makes my day!!

    ReplyDelete