Monday 28 March 2011

Back into the working week

After such a relaxing day yesterday - with no rain! - it was back to 'full on' mode from this morning.  My halo and I went for an early morning walk.  Actually my camera came too because one of the jobs on my "list" (not to be confused with my schedule) was either a sunrise or sunset photo of the new block of land.  Actually, there really is no sunrise or sunset - it's either light or its dark.  No luxurious twilights at this latitude.  The early walk was good, and getting another job ticked off was even better.

Then into the office at 8:30 and I thought I had plenty of time to download the land photos and stitch them together, as I wanted to make a panoramic shot.  This was easier said than done, because events again overtook my schedule.  Even getting time for a coffee proved a challenge, but it's still fun being out and about with a camera all day.

It was a "normal" day for me - today I was in Class 2C Science lesson.  The reason I joined this class was to get a photo of the teacher "helping a student".  The teacher knew this is why I was there.  The lesson was about  "harmful plants" and last Friday, the class had gone out and collected a range of weeds and harmful plants.  Somehow they had more or less survived over the weekend (the plants, not the students), and so the teacher explained what each specimen was, and why it was harmful.  I found it really quite interesting!  Then she moved to the blackboard, to write down everything she had explained from the back of the classroom and then the bell went for the end of the lesson.  So no single time when she "helped a student" and this was the class just before lunch!  So I had to ask her if she'd mind just pretending to help one of the boys who sat nearest the door, and she made the whole class sit down again while she did this.  I thought that perhaps helping a student wasn't really her forte, and she was really good at just talking to them in a group scenario ...  and the kids all got to their lunch on time!

This afternoon went in another mad rush.  Monday afternoons are the Lower Primary Assembly.  I'm sure by now you all know the starting format for these assemblies.  One of the Australian girls who is working here (in the Visitors team) is actually on holidays this week because her mum and her aunt are visiting the school.  So her mum was called up on stage to introduce herself to the kids (her aunt is in a wheelchair, so she just had to smile and wave).  Up on stage, her mum was so overcome with the welcome she received that she didn't quite manage to finish her thanks before she was in tears.  The kids really are wonderful, and in Lower Primary it is better than the older kids really, so I could understand her mum's reaction.  She recovered very well, and was able to help out with giving out the prizes and thoroughly enjoyed herself with that.

After assembly they spend each Monday afternoon with their Clubs.  So I had to dash around to all of the clubs and take photos, particularly of the teachers.  There are athletics (today it was 100m dashes as practice for the upcoming sports carnival day); cooking (although they were just talking about food and tasting some doughy balls); the youngsters were all busy doing jigsaw puzzles; traditional dancing; singing; circus (out on the sports field doing cartwheels and other things); music; and one that looked just like "rope" - I've no idea (yet) what that club is called, but the kids each had a piece of twiny rope about 8" long and they were either tying knots or plaiting it.  As a kid, it wouldn't have been my choice of Club!!! (reminds me of my 'career' in Brownies when I spent about 4 Saturday mornings, in a park in Pennant Hills, blindfolded, tying reef knots.  NOT fun!!!  Exit Brownies and Girl Guides for me).

After clubs the kids all went home, and I thought I may get time to download and label all the images from the whole day.  But there was a cake for Stephen's birthday, and so we all crowded into his office to sing happy birthday and cut the cake.  And I had to take the odd photo.  Then I had to photograph a couple of projects for the Marketing Department again and by this time it was well past finish time.  So later tonight I will get them all downloaded and labelled, because tomorrow morning is a full morning for me over at Upper Primary.

Beats sitting at a desk all day though.  And to start off today's photos, this shot was one of the drummer boys at the LP Assembly - today's assembly featured some traditional dancing, which I always enjoy more than the debates .....  at least they all look like they are enjoying themselves!


and I still love the hair ....  talk about "wash and go" and it's also a great way to easily tell the girls from the boys


and it's not just the kids who have great hair.  The teachers change so much with their hairstyles, and it's interesting to try and work out how much is a wig, and how much is really theirs (without actually looking like you're staring at them) - even the piece at the top of her head is real hair (I was going to say hairclip) -I'm sure you'll all work it all out ....


these girls were practicing the 100m dash.  They'd been taught how to start a race, and the teacher was waiting for them at the other end.  I also like sports classes - some of the kids run with shoes, some take off their shoes & socks and there are a large number of kids who just take off their shoes and run around in their socks.


teacher waiting at the other end of the 100m - it looked like he had to virtually catch the girls, because they all wanted to get there first, and they just flung themselves at him.  He'd caught these 3 and then the stragglers from this run also ran right into his arms - really great to see


changing the subject.  If anyone there is thinking perhaps of changing the venue for weekly boys nights, it is possible to find somewhere else where you can get a meal, and a drink, and also enjoy a game of pool ....  (Moshono - reservations again not necessary)  and they will let you sit around and play a game or three of cards as well!!!


on the walk over to Moivaro, which is the boarding campus for the Upper Primary, there was cycling the easy way


and cycling a bit more challenging


It's always good to recycle.  Take the Kilimanjaro water bottles for example.  Most of us recycle them by refilling them with boiled water, which we cool.  Saves buying another bottle.  But they are also recycled by the school, and this is just one way


and recycled toothpaste packaging turns up after art classes as buses or trucks


and changing the topic again, one last one.  This tree house is on the drive back (on a back road) from Usa Campus back to Moshono.  On the main road out to Usa, there is also a tree-house pub, and I keep meaning one day to get a photo of that too .....

1 comment:

  1. It seems a world away. You are not going to want to come back to the hum drum of city life. The photos are fantastic as always. Can't wait to check out the new wardrobe, hope they put a slit in the side of the dresses so you can still get the leg over the motorbike.
    I'll drop you a catch up email.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete