Thursday 3 May 2012

Liquid vrugte middagetes!

Thursday 3rd May 2012

There aren't enough hours in the days!  So this will be a short entry.  The main news from today is that I had a Strawberry Daiquiri for lunch!  Well, as part of lunch, and it is fruit so it must be healthy.  And I only had one ...  :-(

What else?  Well we are staying here at the Gumtree Guest House on a B&B basis.  And the first B was soooooooo comfy, and the second B was deliciously filling!

We headed off towards Knysna, and thought that if we had enough time we'd drive down to Storms River and we'd mapped out routes etc.  However, we got as far as the Outeniqua Pass and took forever to get down - there were so many pullovers of course but the views!  Suffice it to say that we spent ages playing with our cameras, and now there isn't enough time to do justice to the major artworks that we took, so I've just added a couple here ...




Of course there was a regular stream of bikes heading down the pass - today's driving was also bike heaven but I'll save the raves for now.


We stopped at Wilderness to photograph the beach, and then carried on to Knysna.  We'd made so many stops that it was already lunch time when we arrived, but we had decided to just go to Knysna Heads for a "few photos" and then to have lunch.  Well, I met an Italian couple - Lyndy & Carlo - who live on the Cinque Terre and who obviously travel a lot.  Lyndy works for an international schools organisation, so she'd spent a lot of time in Eritrea, and they'd recently been to New Zealand and Sydney.  One of the good parts about just doing our own thing is that you have the time to talk with people, so we all spent quite a while having a wonderful time.  After we split, Jenny and I continued to take some photos -as we do! -


and then we headed over to Thesen Island.  One of the first things I saw was this "Emergency Oyster Delivery" tricycle - hilarious!
 

We had a walk around - Jen had lived here for a month and it would be easy to do the same.  An ideal spot to use as a base, and of course the houses are quite luxurious but you can rent an apartment for peanuts for a month.  Loved the signs  ...




The island is set out like parts of the Gold Coast hinterland, but it isn't tacky.  The island originally was a boat builders area I think, and has been redeveloped and all the houses face onto a canal - some have kyaks or small boats.




But never mind all of that - one of the outdoor cafes also had a beer tasting ....


and of course my Strawberry Daiquiri ....


OK, I'll admit that there was a bit of a gap between the waitress delivering them and us sitting down to imbibe


but we both had enormous fun, and by the time we actually got to taste our drinks it was well worth the wait!  We also did have some solids and all up, had a wonderful lunch!


We went to the local Shoprite to buy our supplies for the next 6 days.  Given that I was still tasting my SD, and Jen had enjoyed her tasting, we decided to give this a miss - but ...


... can you imagine Kemenys stocking this in Bondi?


We headed home, obviously making several stops for photos.  Now I can honestly say that I did only have ONE S.D., I didn't have much of Jenny's tasting, and we definitely didn't buy and try the powder above, but when I saw this sign, I just had to have a think.  I've been in Africa many many times, and yes, I've been to game parks in several countries.  Granted, so far I haven't been in a game park in South Africa, but I still don't think Zebras look like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. Absolutely Stunning scenery!!
    You look very happy & healthy! Africa agrees with you me thinks! Or is it the Daiquiri?

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: What is Jenny "doing" under the table???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa - I think it's Africa, but this time perhaps with a tiny weeny bit of help from the fresh fruit. And it wouldn't be the done thing to tell you what Jenny was doing ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is the freedom of being back in Africa without a strict timetable or any harnesses. lucky girl. sorry to be mssing you by a month in Zim. wish I took digital I could post my journey as well. Ah well. keep on sharing! love Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Anne - go and buy yourself even a Panasonic Lumix for your travelling, and keep your real camera for home stuff!!!!!

    ReplyDelete